Sunday, July 8, 2012

Weekend Adventures Update

So, it was my birthday this weekend but I kept it low key so I can make the actual party a blowout. Basically, came home and did rustic things with Sam on Friday night. Got off to an early start Saturday and went out to visit Steve Daniels Machine Shop, where my engine case is being worked on. Steve is an awesome guy, basically everything he owns..... I want. Dad came along and we talked with Steve for about 2 or 3 hours. When we came in he was working on this huge lean-to shed that he is building from enormous 8x8 logs that all came from the woods out behind where he lives. This guy owns like 100 acres and goes logging everyday after work for the past year or so. Ambition is this guy's middle name. This shed looks like a wooden version of stone henge and it's pretty obvious that once it is complete, it will be there for a very, very long time.

Steve owns a couple of custom VW buggies, a porsche, a pristine VW single cab (seriously, there are pictures in a book it is so nice, this book), 5 BMW motorcycles, a handful of rusty VWs and a daily driven Vanagon. He also is the owner of Daniel's Machine shop which has some very nice equipment. Essentially, this man is a champion. Below is his R75 motorcycle, which has over 170k original miles, has been been restored and is basically a sex-machine.

Yup.... I want that too. 
After distracting Steve from working on the shed for a while, he offered to help me assemble my engine free of charge. AWESOME. So, once we get everything together we can work on it for a couple of Saturdays with Steve's guidance which will expedite the process and make sure we do everything correctly the first time. The case will be line bored this week, the crankshaft will be checked out and hopefully he'll send out the cam and lifters. I'm going to order pistons and cylinders this week too. 

Then, Dad and I went out to Oxford dragway for an afternoon of racing. They had some nostalgic dragsters, gassers and funny cars there. My one gripe was that there was way too much down time between races and we spent a significant amount of time waiting for stuff to happen. 

Funny Car

Awesome Gasser Car
After the races I spent the evening with the Litchfield crew, had a fire, checked out the stars and took a late night dip in the pool.


No comments:

Post a Comment