Saturday, July 21, 2012

Moving in & Sailing & Memories

Today was rather hamstrung by the fact that my stuff was getting delivered between noon & 4.  I really wanted to go to IKEA to finally buy a bed and a couch, but it looks like between the delivery today and my glider flight tomorrow this may not happen.

So I woke up early (been trying to keep a good schedule so I get out of work early), and hung around the apartment generally tidying and trying to be productive.  I have a todo list, so I tried to check things off, like measuring my apartment for furniture sizing, and again not making it a total pigsty.  In light of my laptop dying, I called the Lenovo Help Desk and told them how it made a loud crack and wouldn't turn on.  I had tried everything I could think of the night previous and couldn't get it to turn on.  Despite this, I tried one more time as I was on the line with the tech to make sure I wouldn't appear like an idiot when I mailed it there and it worked.... and lo and behold it just worked.  So, saved myself having to pick up a netbook.

Next I called Horizon Hobby as my DX6i radio for my R/C planes had gotten its antenna snapped when my mom shipped it out.  They can fix it, but I kind of want a DX7s, which has much better programming and is generally a nicer radio, so I'll probably do that.  I'll keep my DX6i sitting around, but it's basically free for the taking.  I bet it would probably be $50 bucks or so to get it fixed, which is like $70 cheaper than buying new.

Then my stuff arrived at around 2.  The movers were nice guys, and they worked very quickly.  But now I have all this stuff that I need to find places for.  I did not realize how many freakin' books about planes I own.  Below is a picture of all my stuff, it's probably ~40% put away at the moment.  The mover was also very impressed by my off-road unicycle.

At 6:45 I had a one-on-one sailing lesson at the Center for Wooden Boats.  I left at 5 since there was a lot of construction earlier, but apparently that's all gone now.  So I got there at 5:45 and wandered around for an hour.  To use the boats you need a Check-out, and I was pretty sure I just could've done that but I didn't want to waste anyone's time if I wasn't.  Turns out I probably was, but I'm very glad I spent the $50 on the lesson.  Christian, the instructor, was a super nice guy and had clearly forgotten more about sailing than I have learned to this point.  Also a great instructor.  Anyways spent about 1:15 on the water, and it was awesome.



Renting boats is like $35 an hour, or $550 a year, which is honestly a great deal for 4 kinds of wooden sail boat that you don't have to maintain.  However, you can volunteer and 3 hours of volunteering becomes 1 hour of sailing.  And since these people clearly known a metric fuck about boats, I plan on volunteering a lot.  And seaplanes are constantly landing and taking off, and lots of Boeing jets on approach to Seatac are seen overhead.  So it's awesome.

Now back to packing.  And I found a Journal I kept in third grade with some hilarious (and some sad) entries.  Tonight's tidbit is:

"Ian and Elyse are happy when Santa cums." 12/24/97


1 comment: