Sunday, July 29, 2012

Smokin'

Howdy ho Gents. I'm entering my last week here at the observatory and getting pretty pumped up for the drive home. In the meantime, gotta keep myself entertained here. All summer I've been on the BBQ subreddits and allowing my mouth to water at the awesome pictures these people post and reading tutorials on how to make the perfect rack of ribs/briskets/pork butt/bacon/everything. This drove me to the decision that I need to stop reading and start doing.

So yesterday I headed up to the observatory and got to work making some bitching ribs. Pulled out the charcoal grill we have up there and got the charcoal going. Headed inside, trimmed the ribs, put mustard on to hold on the rub which was applied in bulk to give it a crust of spice. Then moved the charcoal to one side. Put an aluminum pan full of apple juice on the other and put the ribs directly above it. Then put some hickory wood chips in with the charcoal and slapped the lid on with the vent just over the meat. Every 45 minutes I'd put more wood chips in and squirt a mix of vinegar and oil onto the ribs, adds a little juiciness. Also put some potatoes on which I smoked for an hour and then wrapped and tin foil to finish cooking. Then just put a can of beans on the grill to heat that up. The smells, were amazing...

I am officially addicted to BBQ
After years of considering BBQ to just mean burgers, steaks and BBQ sauce, doing dry rub ribs the proper way was just awesome and it all turned out spectacular. I think this is quickly growing into an obsession and I think all parties that ever have to eat with me will not argue.

Just... Holy shit.
The thing is, my dream house prior to this was a house in the Northeast with a sizable wooded area, preferably a lot of maple and a small sugar shack to make syrup. Now I want that sugar shack to be a sugar shack smokehouse. I'll never fucking go indoors again. I'm going to have to cross my fingers that I can get all that, it's a tall order for our generation.

Next time though, the beans are going to be from scratch too. Apparently you can use the trimmings from the ribs in your beans. Boo yeah.

3 comments:

  1. That's awesome! I have never done a REAL BBQ either. That seems time consuming but awesome and probably worth it. We should do it. When are you coming through Maine, do you need a place to crash?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm coming through the night of your big double birthday thing, so I guess wherever that is? I guess at Olivias?

    ReplyDelete