Thursday, July 19, 2012

BREAK ALL THE THINGS!

What an exciting few days it has been.  Yesterday my car came up with a low oil warning, which seeing as it is rather new was quite annoying.  I went and picked up some oil, and it was in fact very low.  Looking on the internet it seems like there are lots of threads like this, as it burns oil as the engine breaks in (and it is very thin oil to help eek out MPG) and the first recommended change is at 7500 miles.  So that was annoying.  I did get to go into an auto supply store... and there is just something magical about them.  Also, once you put the oil in, you have to drive for about 10 minutes until the "DANGER DANGER YOU ARE POTENTIALLY DESTROYING YOUR ENGINE" warning goes away.  This is spelled out in the manual, but it is rather annoying because despite religiously checking the dipstick, it is unnerving to drive around with that warning light on.

And this afternoon my laptop decided to poop the sleeping bag, as it were.  Made a loud cracking noise, screen flashed, and now it definitely won't turn on.  I took the battery out, and switched outlets but to no avail.  In fact, excuse for a moment while I go unplug it for good, would hate to accidentally start a fire.  Since I can't easily waste time on the internet, I've taken to doing busy work like laundry, dishes, and cleaning.  Which is good because this place is a mess and the movers show up with my stuff on Saturday.  Also on Saturday is a checkride at the Center for Wooden Boats so I can rent sailboats, and Sunday is a glider ride in Arlington.  Should be sweet.

Jumping back a bit, because I'm just writing as I think, yesterday I got the opportunity to play "the world's most expensive video game" aka the 787 simulator.  Basically, it is a full airplane cockpit in a random building, with a lot of fancy computers and projectors to make it just like flying the airplane (although this one doesn't have the hydraulics to make it move).  And we use it to test scenarios before we flight test them.  And I was there for 4 hours testing stuff.  And I'm going back on Monday with real test pilots.  Whoooooooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment