Monday, July 9, 2012

Blah Blah Blah Let's Weld Already

Stopped in at Eagle Industries this morning, its a metal shop with a considerable laser cutter, on my way to work. I think I remember James saying it was where his FIRST team used to meet and I would believe that, there is definitely enough tooling there to support a team. Anyways, I went in an asked if they had any scrap sheet metal cause I am going to practice my MIG welding before I try sticking things to the bus. I honestly thought that they would point me in the right direction on where to find some metal, but they took me out back and rummaged through the scrap bin for me. I left with a handful of pretty thin sheet metal that they cut up into rectangles for me too. I thought they might want some money for it but they just waved me off and sent me on my way. Nice! This is actually the second time I have approached a random metal shop for this kind of thing and it is also the second time they've given me a bunch of free scrap. I would highly recommend this method, just show up, be polite and ask nicely.

Anyways, I got a shipment of some parts and pieces for the bus. Only about half of what I ordered was actually in stock, but I made up the difference from another vendor..... except for the rocker panel that somehow slipped through both of the orders.... damn rocker panel. Also, ordered a set of 94mm Mahle pistons and cylinders for my engine. It will take a while for them to get here and stuff but I am pumped. Spend all the money!

We lowered the wind turbine at work today and swapped it out with our latest and greatest revision. I balanced the blades, so hopefully they don't fly apart and/or chuck a hunk of lead through the air. It was pretty cool though, they have a tilt up tower, which I have never seen work in real life. Pretty easy to use, just takes a couple of people and a truck.

Gonna track down Dwight Havu tomorrow and convince him to let me use his welder.

No comments:

Post a Comment