Thursday, July 5, 2012

Turning a Rough Day Into Raw Satisfaction

Work was a bit rough today, lots of stuff going on. Messed up some stuff. Fixed it. Messed it up again. Fixed it again. One of those painful but necessary cycles I guess.

Found out one of the founder's at Pika (Ben) knows the guys who invented E-Ink and founded the company E-Ink. I was surprised to find out that they didn't actually get that rich. Essentially the technology was created a while before there was a good market for it. Essentially there weren't enough e-books available until Amazon stepped up to the plate and then the stuff took off. However during this lack period, the company raised money from investors who bought pieces of the company and the original founders shares became smaller and smaller pieces of a pie that was growing over time but not exploding. I guess it went on for a while before the company really made money and the inventors walked away with money in the hundreds of thousands. Not that hundreds of thousands is bad.... but it isn't enough to be like "Fuck it, not ever working again".

Ben is awesome, when I talk to him it is like talking to a grown up version of Tyler, Ian who grew up in on off-grid home in Maine. I asked him how many of his friends do start-up stuff and he was like "All the cool ones did, the lame ones went to Wall St."

Oh, yeah so when I got home today I went straight for the bus and cut some chucks off of it. My order from Busdepot is coming in early next week so I wanted to get rolling. Check it out.


Quite a bit of rust but I think the inside isn't THAT bad.... 


I think I'll be able to sandblast/grid off most of the stuff inside as the metal is pretty thick and the rust isn't so deep. Also, this area will be coverer again soon anyways so if it isn't pretty it isn't a big deal just as long as it isn't rusty/rusting. 


Kept working till about 9PM, it was starting to get dark so I bailed. I actually cut clean through to the inside floor. There was some remnants of the wood floor and a bunch of old insulation so I yanked it all out and threw it away. Hopefully the panel I ordered will be good for replacing this. The parts around the wheel arch could get tricky, might have to find another replacement panel. Also, called the machine shop today and my crankshaft is going to be brought over to Butler and McMaster's in Hallowell to be magna-fluxed! Sweet! Anyways, things are rolling on that which is nice and I will stop by and pester the machinist on Saturday. 

Oh this thing. 
Also, a former/current employer called me last week about this thing I was supposed to built for them like a eon ago.... whoops! Anyways it will be a security camera tester/controller all in one box. I cut out the faceplate a while ago and have been plugging away on it the past couple of days but I just drilled a couple of holes in the wrong place.... whoops! So, we'll have to do something about that. I'd like to just get it done so I can not worry about it anymore. Should be neat when it works though. 



No comments:

Post a Comment