Sunday, August 12, 2012

Sandblasting my Face off

So it stayed dry in Hollis for a good portion of Saturday, I got up made a sweet breakfast and then got down to business. It is funny how after you go from using a sandblaster that needs to be refilled every 5 minutes to one that needs a refill basically never, you find all kinds of new little spots to hit just because you can. I basically spent the morning blasting away rust with a vengeance. The face shield I've been using is quickly being sanded into a non-transparent piece of plastic, this is an issue for actually seeing what I am doing. Also, my face is actually a little irritated by all the sand.

This thing is starting to look like a real project now

Hit the metal behind the bumper while I was at it
 I primed all the spots that I hit but i did find some small holes in the door which was a little concerning.  I was hoping that I wouldn't have to do any real repair work on them, but overall they are actually very solid. The second picture shows a lot more holes I found and I don't really know what I'm going to do about them yet. Bending sheet metal the correct way takes tools or skill that I don't really have so making replacement panels for the exterior seems a little sketchy. I just found this piece which is apparently called the "Rear Valance" for $35 on Busdepot, so it might just get cut off and replaced. There is a dent in it too that I don't have the tools to fix.

This is really the issue with things I want to buy, in order to justify buying them I essentially have to be in business with them. Examples: milling machine, lathe, metal brake and MIG welder. Do you see what I mean here? Basically the expense of these items is enough that I would feel like I needed to make money using them to help offset their costs. Unless I was just loaded, which I would be alright with.

Oh, also I have the wrong battery tray and it doesn't fit. Bart and I discussed some ways to make it fit but they were all a little sketchy and it will be easier to just get the correct one. We started messing with stuff but then it started raining so we'll hopefully get back at it when I get the correct battery tray which will be soon.... I hope. I only have a week and a half left in Hollis, which is strange so I will probably start moving things back next weekend.

I forgot to mention that Renee and Toby came over for James' last saturday in Maine party. It was awesome to see them and it was hilarious to get Renee drunk. Yes. Renee. Drunk. Awesome. We had a campfire and lots of food thanks to the Havus which was sweet.

1 comment:

  1. James' last Saturday sounds like it would be a heck of a chill time. I'm sure much cribbage was had by all.

    ReplyDelete