Friday, August 10, 2012

I should probably post more

On Tuesday I attended a mentor meeting for FIRST Robotics Team 1778, looks like I will be a mentor there next season.  Great group of people, with a pretty great sounding school.  Looking forward to building some robots.  They run a couple FTC teams as well, and it sounds like I'll get to help out with those too. (Also they had their mentor meeting at a Microbrewery in Lynnwood A+++, would attend again)

On Thursday I attended livery attendent training at the Center for Wooden Boats.  Basically this means you stand on a dock and rent people boats, and for every three hours you do this you earn an hour of free boating time.  I'm not going to complain about standing on a dock, plus you get to help people rig their sailboats, teach people knots, and meet new people.  The other volunteer manning the shift was an executive at some semiconductor manufacturer, but quit and is now just going around volunteering and working minimum wage jobs.  Cool that someone would do that.

Also our intern built a human powered plane.  And I met a guy at work who built a replica Chanute glider.  And there is a guy in Seattle who has built a half dozen human powered airplanes.  And I'm going to fly a glider tomorrow and signed up to try hydroplaning.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like Boeing scooped up all the human powered airplane nuts! That's awesome, too bad he didn't win but that is wicked sweet. You should be sure to make friends with that guy.

    ReplyDelete