Sunday, August 19, 2012

Hot Air Balloons and other technical interests

Went to Ariel's house today for a bit, she lives out on Sabattus lake. The Great Falls Balloon festival was this weekend and takes place out in Lewiston. We saw about 10 balloons from her dock tonight which was pretty sweet. Hot air ballooning is basically the chillest form of flying available (correct me if I'm wrong here Ian). Made me wonder how much it takes to become a balloon pilot... besides the almost certainly obnoxious costs of a balloon. It basically sounds like unless you are pretty loaded or have a good reason to get your balloon certification (like to make money) then it probably isn't a worthy pursuit. It would be sweet to help out on a balloon crew though just to check it out.

Picked up the Lindsay Technical Books catalog today and browsed through it again. Kind of want to place an order for like 5 books. After playing with the bus this summer I'm more interested in sheet metal tooling. I really want to check out the Dave Gingery books on how to work sheet metal with minimal available tools and also how to build a sheet metal brake cause that is awesome and sounds like it would be a sweet project. Also it would be awesome to have a sheet metal brake. Apparently Lindsay books is on vacation until the 27th.... So I think my order will be delayed a little until I verify that I can get packages sent to my new place.

My days in Hollis are numbered, three more days of work and then I'll pack up my stuff and hit the dusty trail.

Also, you both should watch this. It is hilarious and gets pretty laugh out loud during the second half.


2 comments: