Sunday, June 16, 2013

Southern Maine Weekend

So it feels kind of strange to have a Friday night where not much is going on. It's been a while since there wasn't some sort of social gathering on a friday night. Anyways, I kicked off my weekend basically Saturday morning by going to the "Great State of Maine Yard Sale" which was kind of cool but also kind of a let down. It was $5 to get in and I wasn't that impressed with the stuff they had there. It was so commercialized that there were a lot of antiques, crafty things and stuff you generally would not actually find at a real yard sale. That being said, Kevin and I both scored towel racks for $5 each.... ehh I'll take it. I passed up on a pair of LL bean snow shoes for $35... and I will probably kick myself for it this winter but we'll see.

Anyways, after that we took off to the beach and enjoyed chilling in the sun. The water was pretty damn cold but it was fun to stand in it anyways. Got a couple small awkward sunburns in the places that I clearly missed with sunscreen. Overall not bad though for a beach outing. Hung around the old port for a bit late that afternoon and ran a couple errands. Also met a dude with a sweet 1972 honda 175 in the old port, ended up talking with him for a while about cool motorcycles and VWs. His bike was immaculate and the paint was in great shape for the year despite not being restored. He also had a helmet painted gold (same as the bike) which made him pretty easy to spot.

I went to several places to find the right coat hook setup. Basically I really wanted some hooks to put my coat on after I came inside (seems like a pretty natural thing to desire). For some reason our apartment doesn't have anything to fulfill this need. Anyways, since I live with two other roommates I discussed what I wanted and after disagreeing completely.... then realizing it was a good idea they allowed me to put up some hooks with one condition, it must have a shelf on top of it. Why? I have no idea. Oh actually there was another condition, it had to be black so it would match everything else in the living room. After striking out at two places I finally found an unfinished set of coat hooks with a shelf. Spent a little time this afternoon painting it and installing it. Feeling pretty Bob Vila right now, not going to lie. I also mounted the towel rack that I got at the yard sale, awhh yea!

Also went on a nice long motorcycle ride today, after fixing my bike earlier this week it has been kind of painful not being able to ride it due to loads of intermittent crappy weather. I actually rode out to Sebgao lake briefly which was kinda cool.

Chatted with Tyler today about starting a food truck and it has been on my mind all day after seeing this craigslist ad. Also been reading about it online. Seems kind of awesome but might be a lot more money to start initially than I realized. Some folks say like $60k but I find that pretty hard to believe because I would definitely just do all the retrofitting of the truck myself. Anyways, I've been thinking about cool little business ideas to put money towards as a kind of investment and a food truck or something similar doesn't sound like it is that far out of reach. Also, I know enough unemployed people that I feel like I could always find someone to work at it.


No comments:

Post a Comment