Sunday, March 31, 2013

Oh Hey MSSM....

So, I was informed like two days before it happened that the entirety of the MSSM student body was coming to do a tour on Saturday of the college of engineering at Umaine. Cool! I was asked to hang out and show the kids cool stuff and do a silly solar panel lab with them. The activities began around 10AM .... now let's think about this for a few minutes. If the activities begin at 10AM in Orono.... which is a three hourish ride from Limestone, factor in time for farting around, maybe one pitstop, etc, etc and you begin to realize that they made everyone wake up at like 6AM, cram onto 2 buses and ride for 3 hours on a Saturday morning....... Oh, I'm sure that went over well. I assumed many of the kids, in true MSSMer fashion, would simply forgo sleep entirely. The next morning, my suspicions were confirmed.

Oh, hello entire MSSM.
After a rousing speech by our fearless leader of the college of engineering with about half of the public speaking talent of Walt Warner, the kids were even more pumped to be here! Feeling their pain... but not really cause I had slept like 9 hours that night, I tried to be extra friendly and keep my eye out for awesome people. Recognized a couple of old campers, saw Kiri's brother and Renee's brother too which made me feel kind of old.

Gave our group a tour of the lab I work in and found out that almost no one knows anything about brushless motors. Actually generally lacking some electrical knowledge but I guess that is to be expected. Also a bunch of freshmen, apparently there are 20 freshmen there now.... eeeeks! Anyways, I did have a couple of good groups of kids that asked good questions and stuff. Met the new physics teacher who was the man and was totally into my tour, asked awesome questions and made star wars jokes. Solid dude.

Also totally introduced myself to a large group and asked them vote for Pika in the Launchpad competition. They were all on board and enthusiast about voting and talking to another MSSMer. One discussion went something like this.
Excited MSSM kid "What year did you graduate?"
Me: "Class of 2009."
Excited MSSM kid: "Wait, so were you there when the McCartney bot was there?
Me: "..... Bitch*, I built the McCartney bot, it's in pieces in my attic."

*Note I didn't actually call the kid a bitch, I just added that for dramatic effect....
Made me feel cool. Wouldn't it be cool to make a McCartney Bot Reloaded for some sort of alumni event sometime? Some day. Maybe.

Anyways, the day went pretty well I had to bail a little early but I got to talk to a couple of kids about college and how they should just continue to be a boss where ever they go. Heart-warming stuff.

Also, for the record Sam claims that recent senior videos are using things from our senior video. I can't confirm or deny this.... anybody?

1 comment:

  1. Recognize any former campers? Encourage them to buy Boeing jets?

    ReplyDelete