Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Break Update

On my way home I went to visit Tony. There we resolved to post as often as possible this break. I now look back on this memory with a certain fondness. Some shit I said at Tony's:
  1. Going to post daily on this blog.
  2. Going to apply to grad school next week.
  3. Going to look into summer jobs.
  4. Going to work on the Jeep sitting out in the yard.
  5. Going to work on Grandma's house.
Let's analyze this bullshit that came out of my mouth.

Going to post daily on this blog.
Hehe, I'm funny.

Going to apply to grad school next week.
As of this time I have succeeded in at least shrinking my list. This has been done in large part by having schools drop off the list as their deadline passes. On that note, Ian, I'm probably not coming to Seattle. Partially the early deadline, mostly didn't want to drop close to a hundred dollars to apply to a school I can't get into with my grades. Oh well. Now that I have a list I have 6 days to apply to most of them with the 15th deadline. Fuck me.

Going to look into summer jobs.
Hehe, I'm funny.

Going to work on the Jeep sitting out in the yard.
We actually did the first couple of nights. The engine turns over so we bought a battery for it and got it all hooked up. Next step was taking the bitch out of the ground. Then it hit below zero and the ground froze. See you in the spring truck. I'll go out and take a picture of it in the light at some point so you got an idea what we're working with.

Going to work on Grandma's house.
This is pretty much why I haven't done other things, I have done this in spades. We replaced her foundation, redid the plumbing, cleaned the house, redid the floors, installed a shower, other shit. There is still a lot more to be done. 

See here's the thing, my grandmother is addicted to home improvement. One year we took her Lowe's card away after she cut the cable to pay for more lumber, leaving my chair bound grandfather bored as hell. A man has to be able to watch his Steven Seagal films. Every time I go over I have to take time to figure out where everything is since she changes the wall configuration every week. The other thing is, she doesn't quite do it right. She does home improvement like I do reading, get about half way through and then go on to a different project. As a result her house is half put together all over the place. We tried to plug something in and pulled the socket out of the wall, it wasn't screwed in. Went down to the basement, hit my head on a pipe, everything fell apart. She didn't seal the joints on the pipes! Everything in the house, floor, appliances, the tv, everything is covered in paint. It's going to be a big job. The thing is, she hasn't stopped. Every night we've been there we go to eat supper and find saw dust and fresh accidental cuts on her dining room table from carpentry.

So things I've done in place of things I should do.
  1. Civilization V
  2. Caught up on The Office
  3. Made a homemade Humpty Dumpty BBQ Chip clone.
  4. Civilization V
  5. Made a bow and arrow from PVC and wooden dowel. This time it even works!
  6. CIVILIZATION V
  7. CIVILIZATION V
In case you didnt' get the point by now.
I'm going to pretty up the bows and post some pics. Also might post some opinions about world events or something who knows. Anything that isn't applying to grad school. 

1 comment:

  1. You broke my post streak bro. Also, that is sweet that the engine isn't stuck on the jeep but I agree working on cars in the cold is kind of miserable. I would leave it until the ground thaws. The bus is covered in snow and I'm just like... no... not not. I'm sorry bus, I just.... I just can't.

    Maybe you could start a home improvement show. It would be hilarious. I suggest you watch this actually pretty awesome video about how to build a bookcase: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCIIZ3hgPVA

    Good luck on grad school applications. I suggest an essay of equal quality to your infamous tale of your car dying. "Lawling and crawling" Yes mate, you make them lawl and crawl.

    ReplyDelete